1. When did you begin your blog?
|Our Tripawd Warrior Princess|
2. What was your original purpose for starting a blog?
I started the blog because our 15-month-old pup Abby was diagnosed with bone cancer. It was just easier to start a blog than to keep all my friends and family up-to-date on how she was doing over email.
3. Is your current purpose the same?
No. And this question is kinda depressing... Even though this started as a blog about Abby's journey with cancer, I always tried to keep it fun and light and entertaining. Not always possible when we'd get bad news, but I tried. The purpose is now no longer the same because Abby passed away at only 2 1/2 years old - one year ago today in fact. (More on this at the end of the post.) Now the blog includes "Stuff 'bout me and my pups. But mostly my pups." As an author, I now use the blog as a way to connect with other dog-lovers and folks who might enjoy my book(s). The main purpose of the blog now is to just make people smile/laugh.
4. How often do you post?
I try to post at least 3 times a week, but sometimes manage 4 posts.
5. Do you blog on a schedule or as the spirit moves you? If on a schedule, why? Are you strict about your publishing deadlines? What do you do for inspiration when it feels like you've covered every topics?
When Abby was still around, I posted whenever. Now, I try to stick to a schedule, mainly because I have other writing to get to (working on other novels) and I don't want the blogging to take toooo much time away from that. I try to always join the Monday Mischief and Wordless (well, slightly less wordy in my case) Wednesday blog hops, and I've recently started doing a Mirth Watch Thursday post (skipping Mirth Watch today because I'm joining this challenge and also just don't feel mirthful on this one-year anniversary). If I have another thing to post about during the week, it usually goes up on Fridays. I almost never post on the weekends.
I'm not strict about my deadlines. It's just a goofy blog, so why beat myself up for missing a post here or there. I can't imagine anyone even would notice. As for inspiration, something always comes to me... Sometimes at the very last minute, but it always comes.
6. How much time do you spend writing your blog per week? How much time visiting other blogs? Share your tips for staying on top of it all.
(a) Tough to say. It varies depending on what I include. Sometimes I'll include a goofy drawing, and even though it's goofy, it takes time. I'd say at least an hour on each post, probably more because I obsessively read and re-read what I've written because I hate typos! I is 'sposed to be a writer, so I gots to sound like one!
(b) Too much, yet never enough. I'd love to read all the fabulous blogs out there, but I can't keep up!
(c) I'm not on top of it all. I'm in a mushed pile underneath it all. I hope others will have tips to share! Actually - for catching up on some of the best of the blogs, I rely on I Still Want More Puppies monthly link round up. It's a little "best of the pet blogs" post where I can go back and read the great things AJ found that I missed out on. It's awesome. You should follow her.
7. How do you measure the success of a post and of your blog in general (comments, shares, traffic)? Do you look strictly at the numbers, or do you have a way of assessing the quality of those interactions?
I generally just look at traffic. I don't tend to get tons of comments but I know some of my friends read the blog and never comment, so I don't go by that. I link to almost all my of my posts from my Facebook page, so I also consider if there are comments/"likes" there to determine if something was "successful." For me, the best success is when someone says "that was funny." I like to make people smile/laugh. I wish Blogger just had a little happy face icon that folks would hit if they enjoyed what they read. Some little happy faces would make my blogging-day!
8. If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one issue you’re having with your blog, what would it be?
For folks who get tons of comments/have a lot of followers, how did you do that? I'm assuming it's mostly just a case of commenting on other peoples' blogs and building some rapport, yes?
9. What goals do you have for your blog in 2013?
I don't have any super specific goals, but I'd like to reach more people and get more followers. I'd just like to feel like folks enjoy reading the posts. I'd love it if my new "Mirth Watch Thursdays" would catch on - it would be fun if other bloggers wanted to join in and I could turn it into a "hop."
And A Word (or Two) About Abby....
Damn, we still miss that girl a lot. I still sometimes get mad (she got royally screwed on the "quantity" of life thing if not the quality). I still get blue. But mostly I remember her with smiles. Here's to our beautiful girl!
By way of tribute, I'll just post links to three of my favorite Abby posts (hard to pick faves - I have a lot of them...):
1. Partying and Persimmons: some very cute pics of our girl in this one plus good action shots
2. Abby's Workout & Beauty Tips: I just posted the link to this the other day, but it's one of my faves and so her, since she was such a skinny super-model girl!
3. Fourteen Months: her 14 month ampuversary and our last Christmas with her. She was still so happy and such a lot of fun. Hard to believe she would be gone so soon after this.
Thanks for indulging me in a little walk down memory lane in honor of Abby, as an aside from the Pet Blogger Challenge.